Create Great Holiday Communications
With the holidays almost upon us, I thought it would be nice to share some information that I have received about communications over these exciting, but maybe stressful, days.
Stress levels increase during this time of year and it’s important to communicate effectively to maintain healthy relationships with clients, friends, and family. There is lots of activity, not only in your centers, but also in your personal lives: vacations, parties, special schedules, last minute promotions, customers needing help, etc…
Start by honing your listening skills. Listening is an essential ingredient of communications. It’s not a passive activity, but one that requires mental effort. Here are a few tips to help you listen more effectively.
- Focus: Look at the person speaking and keep your mind on their words and body language.
- Respect: Don’t interrupt or judge, even if you think they have nothing important to say.
- Show Interest: Nod if you agree with the speaker, or ask clarifying questions if something is unclear.
- Live & Let Live: Let those with different opinions than you have their point of view.
- Be Quiet: Don’t give advice unless it’s asked for.
- Ask Questions: Paraphrase or ask in order to clarify the speaker’s words.
Have a great holiday season. We’ll be listening!